ABOUT THE AWARD
Do you know a really great Principal who made a positive difference in your school music program?
Every year, the Coalition for Music Education recognizes exemplary principals in Canada for their leadership and support of music programs in their schools – one recipient from each region (Eastern, Central and Western), as well as an award sponsored by the National Arts Centre for a recipient in Nunavut. The awards acknowledge the important role that administrators play in ensuring that music programs thrive. In addition to national recognition, each Principal receives a cash award of $1,500 to be applied to their school music program.
The Principals of Music Awards are presented annually in honour of Mr. George Bishop, one of the founders and the first Executive Director of the Coalition and are supported by contributions from the music industry in Canada.
POMA encourages the commitment to music in schools, and the prizes are awarded annually.
After reading through over thirty inspiring and dedicated application, the POMA committee would like to sincerely thank the nominators for recognizing incredible efforts across the nation and the nominees for their leadership and support of music education in schools. One recipient from each region (Eastern, Centre, and Western), as well as an award sponsored by the National Arts Centre for a recipient in Nunavut, are given to supremely active principals doing an outstanding job for their schools and communities. We want to sincerely congratulate the following winners of $1,500 applied to their school music program:
- Western Region – Lawrie McKeith, Robert W Zahara Public School (Sexsmith, AB)
- Central Region – Lucio Pavone, Near North District School Board (North Bay, ON)
- Eastern Region – Maryse Tremblay, École secondaire Saint-Luc (Montréal, QC)
- Eastern Region – Principal Windsor Wight of East Wiltshire Intermediate School (Cornwall, PEI)
- Central Region – Principal Cristina Cox of Dr. C.F. Cannon Public School (Oshawa, ON)
- Western Region – Principal Darcy Sander of Ecole Vickers Public School (Prince Albert, SK)
- Nunavut – Principal Haydn George of Kugluktuk High School (Kugluktuk, NU)
- Sheldon Hoyt (Barnwell, AB)
- Lorraine Harnum (Dildo, NL )
- Debbie Linkewich(Markham, ON).
- Michelle Armishaw (Sydney River, NS)
- Jane Couch (Winnipeg, MB)
- Tracey MacMillan(Iqaluit, NU)
- Anthony McGrath (Concord, ON)